WE'RE HIRING: SHOP ASSISTANT
Kept is an independently owned & operated boutique located in downtown Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. We have been in business for 8 years, and we have just been acquired by Paper Hearts!
Our goal at Kept is to make gift giving easy, as well as to make bricks & mortar shopping fun again! With a little something for everyone, Kept carries a hand-picked selection of home décor items, jewelry and accessories, paper goods, items for children & babies & locally made confections.
Our mission is to bring you uniquely well-crafted gifts and housewares that you will love for years to come. Sourcing both locally & internationally, we pay great attention to choosing our wares, carefully curating our shop with personality & design. The details are important to us because we know they are important to you.
Our core concepts that we were founded on are:
- We are family owned & operated
- Superior customer service standards
- Maintain at least 50% locally-made goods
- Support local charities
- Share goods made to last
- Provide eco-friendly alternatives
ABOUT PAPER HEARTS (Which Owns Kept Shop):
At Paper Hearts™, we’re passionate about changing the way the world feels. We’re a seaside stationery & design studio that makes whimsical treasures with love, care & salty air for over 265 retail boutiques across Canada.
Our team also runs Paper Hearts Post Office, an snail mail collective that licenses the work of local artists for the Sobeys family of stores across the country. In addition to that, we run a small stationery shop in the North End of Halifax, and we create graphic arts, branding assets & custom card programs for clients across Canada.
- OPPORTUNITY: Shop Assistant (we are flexible, 3-5 days per week)
- START DATE: On or before Monday May 2nd, 2022
- AVAILABILITY: Every day from 10 - 6, including weekends.
- COMPENSATION RANGE: Starting at $15 per hour + 4% vacation accrual (equivalent of 2 weeks paid vacation for FTE)
- APPLY BY: Friday, April 15th
- Working primarily at Kept Shop, located at 75 King Street in Downtown Dartmouth.
- Assisting customers, answering questions & providing a welcoming & delightful experience in the shop.
- Ordering, unpacking & organizing inventory as it arrives.
- This includes breaking down cardboard boxes and putting them in the underground parking area, as well as taking out garbage, paper and plastic recycling daily.
- This may mean moving boxes from our storage unit to our back room from time to time, so some light lifting is required.
- Keeping the shop and the back office space clean, organized & functional.
- Fulfilling online orders & arranging for Post Office pick ups/drop offs.
- Receiving inventory, pricing products & merchandising store displays.
- Cleaning the shop at the end of your shift to ensure that we keep a welcoming, safe & clean environment for our staff & customers.
- This includes regularly sanitizing the store, vacuuming, dusting, mopping, cleaning windows, staff bathroom, etc.
- Working in Shopify to create orders, track inventory, update our webstore, etc.
- Be responsible for opening & locking up the store.
- Depositing cash, assisting with payroll and/or other administrative tasks (as required)
- Creating *some* photo and video content for social media (mostly story shop tours, and other simple requests). We do have a content team to do more formalized shoots and product photography.
- Must work well independently (you will occasionally be on shifts alone).
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Is reliable, trustworthy & dedicated to Kept's vision & supporting our team.
- Wants to change the way the world feels.
- Loves Downtown Dartmouth & all it has to offer!
- Loves small businesses, makers, dreamers & shopping local.
- Loves supporting our community & charities in creative ways.
- Has an ALL IN, open & flexible attitude. (Retail is ever-changing).
- Wouldn't dream of saying "that's not my job" ... like ... please no.
- Loves working as part of a team, but also is comfortable working alone.
- Is a self-starter & seeks solutions before coming to management with problems to solve.
- Takes their work seriously, but doesn’t take themselves too seriously (we like to be silly & have a good time at work).
- Is detail oriented, thorough & cares about the work they put out in the world.
- Is friendly, loves people, is polite, enthusiastic & loves to work hard & have fun!
- Must provide a criminal background check.
- Must be comfortable taking your breaks at your own discretion, when there are no customers in the store (as you will occasionally be working alone). It may not be possible to schedule your breaks for specific times during the day (unless you are working with another person on your shift).
- There is a 3 month probationary period, to establish that we are a good fit for each other!
- All interested candidates are invited to apply by emailing (or dropping off) your resume & a note about why you're the perfect fit for our company to
- 75 King Street, Dartmouth, NS
Looking forward to meeting you! ✨✨✨
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc. (& Kept Gifts & Housewares Inc)
Last Updated: January 2022
At Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc (which owns Kept Gifts & Housewares Inc)., we do not tolerate racism, sexism and misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, ageism, or any other form of discrimination. We are committed to a culture of recognizing our implicit biases, responding to feedback, and addressing any microaggressions that we witness within the Paper Hearts community. In order to support and reflect our community, we are open to making accommodations as needed and prioritizing the hiring of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, newcomers, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ folks, and people of all ages and religions.
These commitments will be reflected in our employment opportunities with Halifax Paper Hearts/Kept Shop and in building our community in our collective of local artists featured on Paper Hearts Post Office stands. Whether we are approaching new artists of our own accord or reviewing submitted applications, our values remain the same. A message conveying our commitment to serving, hiring, and amplifying marginalized voices will be included on all calls for artists, artist applications, and employment opportunities.
We undertake an annual review of this policy in January of every year to evaluate its effectiveness in creating a diverse and inclusive environment at Halifax Paper Hearts/Kept Shop. Our annual review was last completed in January of 2022.